Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Miles Forman - Filmmaker, Actor, Musician



Miles Forman is a film producer and a native of South Florida. His projects have brought him to all corners of the world including Europe, Africa, and South America. Miles' latest film Fatboy: The Movie, is available on Netflix, Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and wherever DVD's are sold.

I had the pleasure of attending the premiere of Fatboy sitting between Jeff Novick and Michael Moore and I can say that seeing the movie was a real inspiration for me to continue on my path towards wellness.

Miles and I have become friends and have attended many concerts together. At my suggestion, Miles was kind enough to offer his insights for this week's interview.

How has your life changed since the making of Fatboy?

The #1 thing I have learned is that my battle with weight will never be over. That once I obtained better health, I still had to work at it week after week. Though, I now have the confidence that my efforts to lose weight won't be in vein, and that I will always shed any gained weight if I bare down and use the knowledge and tools I obtained from Fatboy. I got married earlier this year and ended up putting on about 15lbs, due to the constant celebrating and a minor neck injury I sustained, (while moving boxes) I was unable to keep my regular exercise routine. (and eating habits) I still have around 8lbs to go!

Can you tell me a little bit about your foray into the music business?

It's much more intimate than filmaking - it moves much faster too! With music, you don't need a large crew, costumes, locations, etc. I'm working with an artist named Hyro Da Hero on what I feel will be a great rock/rap album. Hyro is much different than your typical "rapper", as he's got great appreciation for the evolution of music and how "modern music" became what it is. Never have I met a kid like him, who listens to R.E.M, Fugazi, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, and Jay-Z - AND understands how they all relate! Perhaps, what I'm trying to say is that his album is all about music and substance, then it is about image and flash. The premise of rap music is great, though I find 96.7% of what is produced to be terribly contrived.

Are you working on any current film projects?

In this economy?! Are you crazy?! LOL! Yeah, I have a few things moving S L O W... It's just hard to raise the $$ and I don't want to do another documentary - so I'm trying to raise some real cash for for a real movie.

What is the weirdest moment you have had as a professional in the creative arts field?

I'll give you three!

1. Driving through the foggy mountains of Costa Rica in the middle of the night while our driver was smoking crack cocaine willingly. We wanted to take him out, but decided that it would be safer to just let him do his thing.

2. Being on a tour bus with WEEN for 5 hours (if you know who these guys are you'll understand this one)

3. I don't know if this is "weird" exactly, but I once spent the night in a hotel constructed exclusively for midgets! We went overtime at Culver Studios and they decided to shack us up in this place built in the 1930's for the cast of Wizard of OZ, Somewhere Over The Rainbow,etc,etc Everything in the place was to scale - the shower presented the biggest challenge.

What is the one thing about your work that most people do not know or misunderstand?

That I probably should have just stuck to being an actor! The producing end of things is very stressful, though, I do enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. good interview and interesting person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miles is definitely a person with a lot of unique experiences and I enjoyed interviewing him.

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete